5 Consumer Tips
5 Consumer Tips
Carpet cleaning services are largely unregulated, and shoddy work may not only make matters worse, but could invalidate a carpet warranty.
Here are five things to consider when selecting a real professional carpet cleaning company that will keep an investment safe, and a carpet warranty intact:
1. Professionalism – While unregulated, the carpeting cleaning industry has an international trade association that sets professional standards for carpet cleaners who qualify, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration, IICR, which provides certification called IICRC. To qualify for IICRC status businesses must demonstrate proof of insurance, maintain a written customer complaint policy with documented follow-up and provide ongoing education and training leading to certification for all technicians. IICRC Certified Firms are also required to abide by the IICRC Code of Ethics. Make sure the carpet cleaner selected is certified.
2. Existing customers – Professional firms will maintain customer testimonials and allow access to previous customers to offer a high level of assurance. When checking with previous customers, make sure they have the same level of investment in their carpets and rugs to insure that the carpeting cleaning company has the expertise and experience in cleaning carpets analogous to the type of floor coverings that are to be cleaned.
3. Customer Protection Policies – Make sure the carpet cleaning company under consideration is the employer of any technicians – don’t accept subcontractors – and has a stated policy of consumer protection, including background checks on carpet cleaning technicians. Also, look for a fully disclosed statement of work that includes the removal and replacement of furniture and guarantees of clean-up procedures.
4. Cleaning Processes—Look at the stated working process, and it should include vacuuming of all areas to be cleaned, pre-spotting with spotting agents that meet carpet warranty requirements, pre-spraying all areas to be cleaned with detergents to loosen soil, agitation to further loosen soil, and steam or hot water extraction with a pH balanced rinsing agents that will remove the majority of soil and detergent.
5. Guarantee – Inspect the company’s Guarantee of Service and settle for nothing less than a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any unresolved service issues, especially with honoring its guarantees.